Edinburgh Indiana is a medium sized town located thirty miles south of Indianapolis along I-65. Situated in the far southeast corner it was the first settlement in Johnson County.
John Campbell was Edinburgh's first settler coming to the area in 1820.
Though there have been different accounts throughout the years it is still unclear how the town got it's name. It is thought to be named for Edinburgh, Scottland; the homeland of Alexander Thompson who along with Lewis Bishop owned the 32 lots in the original plat of the town in 1822.
Edinburgh is the home of Camp Atterbury, a National Guard Training facility. Since World War II and up to the late 1980's military police from the camp accompanied local officers whenever military personnel were on overnight passes in town.
It is also home to the Edinburgh Premium Outlet Mall which includes over eighty different name brand stores. Timbergate Golf Course and Exit 76 Antique Mall.
These activities along with the area parks, and nearby Simmons Winery assures Edinburgh's hotels and Bed and Breakfasts many overnight tourists.
One of the towns beautiful historic homes is the Edinburgh Bed and Breakfast at the 1870 Toner-Maley House. Located at 606 Main Cross Street in Edinburgh's Historic District it is now owned and operated by Torin Scott of Arizona.
The Toner-Maley House was built from 1870 to 1871 by Jacob Toner on the Edinburgh Union Agricultural Society Fairgrounds which was the first fair grounds in Johnson County.
Jacob Toner owned a hominy and a floor mill in Edinburgh as well as a handle company. He was well known for his fine woodworking skills which is quite evident throughout the home.
In 1883 businessman and politically active Democrat Henry Maley purchased the home from the Toners. Henry owned lumber business's in Indiana and West Virginia. He is known as the "Father of Quarter Sawed Oak"
Henry's grandson Henry " Hank" Maley lived in the house in the late 1820's to the early 1830's. He owned "The Maley Special' which was driven by Lou Moore in the 1933 Indianapolis 500 coming in in third place.
The home stayed in the Maley family for generations but eventually passed through multiple hands and unfortunately ended up being broken up into apartments and had not been well taken care of.
In 2006 Torin Scott moved from Arizona to Edinburgh and bought the grand lady to restore back to her original glory and open it as a Bed and Breakfast. She has been lovingly and painstakingly working on her home ever since.
As with many historical buildings under renovation there have been some strange and unusual things happen in the home and continues to this day.
When Torin first moved in she was not a believer in the paranormal but since working on and especially since moving in she has changed her mind!
Torin herself as well as family members, workers, guests and even paranormal investigators have all had experiences in the house. She even gives paranormal tours and a haunted Halloween tour of her beautiful home every Halloween night and people come from miles away to enjoy and possibly get spooked